The Health Benefits of the Woods
2020 has been a very strange and trying time for not only us local South Africans but the entire world. Being stuck inside for long periods of time has really taken its toll on everyone. People are tired, people have been spent lengthy hours making use of technology helping pass the time and not as active as they would normally be.
We as humans need to stay active, breathe clean fresh air, absorb the sun and spend time in nature to reset and rejuvenate ourselves so we can restore our energy, to deal with the stress of everyday living. We as humans cannot pour from an empty cup.
Most people that have taken a stroll in the woods and put their feet in the streams, feel great when they do so, but research has proven that even 5 minutes in a clean, green space can drastically improve your health. This is nature’s prescription to improve our health without any nasty side effects at all.
- It can help us sleep better, breathing clean fresh air, getting the blood flowing and circulation going, thus helping tire us out helping us unwind and relax naturally.
- It lowers your blood pressure
- It can increase your mood, walking and just breathing is the fresh air can release endorphins that make you feel good.
- Walking around looking and observing nature and noticing the things that are otherwise lost to everyday lives through the rushing and being on our devices helps improve concentration.
- If you are recovering from surgery or have not been well, spending time in green spaces can speed up your recovery.
- Improve our immune system, plants produce Phytoncides, that have antibacterial and antifungal qualities that we humans breathe in. Being in spaces with high-density green growth is very beneficial for helping our bodies fight off illness.
These are just some of the benefits of spending time in nature. Our establishment, Forest Edge Nature lover’s retreat in Rheenedal, Knysna is the perfect place to enjoy all the benefits of nature and more. We are nestled right on the edge of the woods and is surrounded by greenery. It is a safe and relaxing environment, for both the nature lover, birder, photographer, reader, hikers, mountain biker and pensioner that just wants to relax and look out from the porch into nature.
We look forward to sharing our “medicine with you”