What's new at Forest Edge?
See news & specials via Facebook/Twitter below; join our freebie giftclub or fast-track to news bits:
THANKS TO OUR VALUED GUESTS FOR YOUR TIME, FEEDBACK & INPUT INTO OUR BECOMING.
Forest Edge in the news – if you see us featured anywhere new, kindly let us know:
- March 2017: Die Burger – Suid Kaap Winter Bylae – Forest Edge – One of the Garden Route’s Top Winter Destinations.
- February 2017 – Essentials Magazine – Brilliant Eco-friendly Budget Breaks – Forest Edge #1 on the list.
- April 2016: Discover SA Travel Channel features Forest Edge! See 2:12 Youtube version here.
- 21 June 2014: SA TOURISM features journalist Dianne Tipping-Woods’ account of our Life on the Edge
- Nov/Dec 2012: SOUTH magazine does a feature on Sustainable Permaculture systems and prominently feature Forest Edge
- Jul/Aug 2012: GETAWAY magazine’s list of South Africa’s Top 10 Affordable Breaks featuring Forest Edge
- March 2012: GREEN TIMES features Forest Edge’s self-sustainability and permaculture approaches
- Jan 2012: WEG magazine featured an article on the area and woodcutters and mentioned Forest Edge
- Oct 2010: go! magazine’s list of the best places on the Garden Route featuring Forest Edge
- May 2010: Video of Forest Edge owner, Ronel Pieterse, interviewed at 2010 AA Awards (1:22)
- Jan 2010: THE EDGE Newspaper’s spread on Millwood Magic featuring Forest Edge
- Jun 2009: ESSENTIALS MAG’s Fun family holidays at a fraction of the price featuring Forest Edge
- Nov 2008: Forest Edge features on Kyknet TV program insert
- Apr 2008: go! magazine’s guest letter to the editor re Forest Edge
- Feb 2008: COUNTRY LIFE’s Millwood feature with info on Forest Edge
- Jul 2007: COUNTRY LIFE’s 21 Warm Winter Escapes incl Forest Edge
- 2 Dec 2005: THE STAR article on Rheenendal & Forest Edge
- Oct 1999: COUNTRY LIFE’s Front Page article on Forest Edge
- 1996: Braham van Zyl writes in DIE BURGER on Forest Edge & area
Forest Edge Prize Winners & What we do with feedback
Guests earn entries into a draw when they give feedback on their stay. We keep a prioritised To-Do list including this feedback, which we then tackle passionately, within cashflow and manpower constraints (see Upgrades and Projects below). The prize is a 3-night stay which is valid for 1 year, transferrable, not redeemable for cash, not valid for High or Peak season or for value-adds and it can be extended at listed rates. The most recent winner of this lucky draw:
- Jan 2017 – Caroline Fitzgerald
Every 100th person to tell a friend about Forest Edge, (and this friend) will receive a 20% discount voucher on a Forest Edge stay outside of High and Peak Seasons. The clock was recently re-set, so start referring friends, if you know even one friend, you could perhaps make it tick over from 99 to 100…. And if you know 100 people, you can be guaranteed a 20% discount voucher! 🙂
Another way in which YOU can win, is to contact us if you’ll link to our website from your website / blog.
Forest Edge Awards & Events
At Forest Edge we continually look for ways to improve, partner and give:
- Jun 2016: Forest Edge is announced as a 2016 TRIPADVISOR Excellence Award Winner.
- Jun 2015: Forest Edge is announced as a 2015 TRIPADVISOR Excellence Award Winner.
- July 2014: Forest Edge upgrades Froggy Pond and Firefly to Luxury cottages – full DSTV; Queen-sized bed, Weber-style kettle braai, fancy finery and more! We simplify our rate structure at the same time.
- May 2014: Forest Edge is announced as a 2014 TRIPADVISOR Excellence Award Winner.
- Aug 2013: Forest Edge introduces FREE WI-FI in our Luxury & Standard Cottages.
- Jul 2013: Forest Edge introduces pre-order breakfast baskets, braai packs etc to be delivered to your cottage for your comfort and convenenience!.
- Jun 2013: Forest Edge is announced as a 2013 TRIPADVISOR Award Winner.
- May 2013: Forest Edge launches our upgraded LUXURY COTTAGE with full DSTV; Queen-sized bed, cast-iron fireplace, fancy finery and more!.
- 30 August 2012: national award of 2012 HALL OF FAME at annual AA Accommodation awards !!
- Jun 2012: Forest Edge is announced as a 2012 TRIPADVISOR Award Winner.
- 8 May 2011: national HALL OF FAME entrant in 2011 AA Accommodation awards !!
- FEB 2011: 360 degree video tours of Forest Edge, gardens and interiors of 3 cottages!
- Sept 2010: Forest Edge does a major garden/landscaping overhaul, with dozens of new trees, and starts on wooden walkways and extra benches. We also build a separate donkey camp to keep Hansel and Gretel from eating our new garden plants!
- Jul 2010: Forest Edge adds impetus to our alien vegetation eradication and removes scores of australian blackwood at huge cost.
- 9 May 2010: a national WINNER in 2010 AA Accommodation awards – third year running !!
- Jan 2010: Forest Edge launches a 1km Edu-Eco-History trail that has proven a hit with adults and kids alike. We also name and mark most of our trees and shrubs.
- Dec 2009: Forest Edge builds a new earthen dam to store water for irrigation and that may double as a swimming hole once full. We also rebuilt our soakaway.
- Oct 2009: Forest Edge obtains 3-star grading with TGCSA and upgrades road signage accordingly.
- 1 August 2009: Our brand new Forest Edge Reception and Entrance gate has been completed and furnished for our guest’s comfort. Thank you to our valued guests for your input and patience in this regard.
- 10 May 2009: a national WINNER in 2009 AA Accommodation awards – second year running !!
- 11 May 2008: a national WINNER in 2008 AA Accommodation awards!
- Jun 2008: Forest Edge re-opens the upgraded & refurbished 3 “old” cottages
- Sep 2007: Forest Edge launches 2 more cottages
- Feb 2007: a SEMI-FINALIST in 2007 AA Accommodation Awards
- 26 June 2006: Forest Edge supports SAPS with a donation at JSE event
- 18 June 2006 : Forest Edge at the Kyalami Outdoor Expo
- 10 June 2006 : Forest Edge helps a local entrepreneur to launch a laundry in the local Keurhoek community
- 26 May 2006: Forest Edge supports HIRS Leadership Forum
- 7 May 2006: one of 5 national FINALISTs in 2006 AA Accommodation awards
- August 2005 : Forest Edge AA QA’ed: Highly Recommended for the first time
- June 2005: Forest Edge gets new owners and we work hard to get it to a new standard: introducing onsite presence, upgrading roads and signs, reinstating TV reception, adding a jungle gym and communal bonfire area; reintroducing donkeys; adding showers, hammocks and a library; replacing cutlery, cookware and linen.
Forest Edge Upgrades & Projects undertaken
Our current top priorities are:
- To sort out our permaculture vegetable garden section – either just get it back on track, or also include an area where our guests can enjoy meals or a drink – just need to sell a few more bed nights to make this dream come true….
- To continue creating secluded, lush garden retreat areas on Forest Edge – safe from the donkeys’ appetites
- To continue to grow our Social Media audiences
- To continue lobbying the authorities for the reasonable right to erect our signage on the N2, which was approved but in a way that is unnecessarily and exorbitantly costed
- To continue lobbying with local authorities to improve the quality of the gravel road, the matter is now with the Mayor of Knysna – all fingers crossed.
Major projects and upgrades completed most recently:
- Some of our more mature guests asked us to consider also putting a shower inside one of the cottages, so we’ve upgraded both Fieldmouse & FroggyPond and installed an en-suite shower and basin in the main bedroom. See Fieldmouse cottage for example.
- A lot of our guests asked for a swimming pool to cool off on those hot summer days, so we’ve added a small Intex splash pool opposite the Play Area – it’s been a great hit with families.
- We’ve upgraded our Meditation Corner to ensure there is a beautiful communal spot where our guests can reconnect with nature in a typical Forest Edge setting. We’ve added a huge meditation spiral, a Yoga Deck, 2 beautiful wooden benches and a large bamboo fountain. Herewith a Virtual Tour.
- We’ve upgraded all the TV screens in the Standard Cottages to be in line with TGCSA standards.
- We’ve added a Continental Breakfast option, especially for all our Foreign Travelers.
- Larger families that stayed for longer periods felt that the space in the kitchen is a bit tight, so we’ve added two floating racks in all the kitchens and 3 pull-out drawers in the kitchen cupboards for our guests to store their groceries in.
- We’ve upgraded all our linen, blinds, mattresses, crockery, glassware and cutlery as well as most of the curtains and even some of the couches.
- We’ve painted all of the cottages inside and most of them outside and treated all the woodwork.
- We upgraded all our hammocks.
- We’ve installed a generator to ensure that all our cottages will at least have water if the power goes off.
THANKS TO OUR VALUED GUESTS FOR YOUR TIME, FEEDBACK & INPUT INTO OUR BECOMING.