Choosing the Garden Route for a holiday over the rest of South Africa can be a great decision for several reasons. The Garden Route is a popular and picturesque stretch along the country’s southern coast, running from Mossel Bay in the Western Cape to Storms River in the Eastern Cape. Here are some reasons why it’s a compelling destination:
- Natural Beauty: The Garden Route is renowned for its stunning landscapes, which include lush forests, beautiful beaches, towering cliffs, and peaceful lagoons. It offers diverse natural attractions, making it a paradise for nature lovers and outdoor enthusiasts.
- Mild Climate: The region’s Mediterranean climate means it enjoys pleasant weather throughout the year, making it an ideal holiday destination regardless of the season. Summers are not too hot, and winters are mild, making it a comfortable place to visit year-round.
- Wildlife and Birdlife: The Garden Route is home to various wildlife reserves and national parks, such as Tsitsikamma and Knysna, where you can spot an array of animal species, including elephants, dolphins, whales (seasonal), and numerous bird species.
- Outdoor Activities: The Garden Route won’t disappoint if you love outdoor activities. From hiking and mountain biking to canoeing and zip-lining, there are plenty of adventures to partake in, some of these start right outside our gate! We are located on the edge of the Knysna forest and on SANPARKS doorstep.
- Adventure Sports: The region offers exciting adventure sports like bungee jumping at the Bloukrans Bridge (the highest commercial bungee jump in the world) and surfing in various coastal spots.
- Quaint Towns and Villages: Along the Garden Route, you’ll find charming towns and villages such as Knysna, Plettenberg Bay, and Wilderness. These places offer a laid-back atmosphere, boutique shops, excellent restaurants, and cultural experiences.
- Accessibility: The Garden Route is easily accessible, especially if you fly in from Cape Town or Port Elizabeth. There are also well-maintained roads, making exploring the area by car convenient.
- Whale Watching: If you visit during the right season (usually between June and November), you may have the chance to witness Southern Right and Humpback whales as they migrate along the coast.
- Indigenous Forests: The region is home to ancient indigenous forests, with some of the tallest and oldest trees in the country. You can take scenic walks or canopy tours to experience the beauty and serenity of these forests. You can share this beauty from your cabin veranda and enjoy a cup of coffee while listing to the forest sounds and the birds.
While South Africa has many other incredible destinations, the Garden Route stands out for its unique blend of natural beauty, outdoor activities, and charming towns. It’s a place where you can relax and appreciate nature while still having access to various entertainment options.
We look forward to welcoming you!